Sts. John and Paul Parish was established on July 19, 1949.
Msgr. John J. Flynn, named pastor by His Eminence, Frances Cardinal Spellman, celebrated the first masses on September 11, 1949 at the Weaver Street Fire House before 911 men, women and children. The Church, later constructed on land purchased from the Hoffman family, opened in 1952. The Hoffman house was then converted into the rectory and a stable was refurbished into a Chapel of the Sacred Heart of Jesus.
On September 8, 1952, the doors of Sts. John and Paul School were opened to Kindergarten, First, Second and Third grades. Six years later, the school hosted classes for all eight elementary grades.
It took the dedication and hard work of many volunteers, too numerous to name, who assisted Msgr. Flynn, and all subsequent pastors, to make Sts. John and Paul Church and School the one of the finest Catholic schools in the Archdiocese of New York.